About Language & Culture Coaching
During the academic year, the Language & Culture Coaching program helps international graduate students improve their oral English skills and acclimate to life at UC Davis. Now, this program will be offered to Summer Start students too!
You can sign up to receive one-on-one English lessons from a coach who can help you:
- improve your fluency and pronunciation
- practice a specific feature of English that you want to improve
- learn about culture and communication in the U.S.
- talk about academic topics
- feel confident about communicating in your classes and with your professors, TAs, and peers
Meeting with a Language & Culture Coach is free!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I schedule to meet with a Language & Culture Coach?
- Fill out a request by clicking the "Request a Coach" button above. In your request, you will share what times work for you and how often you'd like to meet with a coach. After you submit your request, you will receive an email from Emily Montgomery with the name of your coach and the time for your first meeting.
- How often will I meet with the Language & Culture Coach?
- Most students will arrange to meet with a Coach one hour per week. However, you can ask for a different schedule when you submit your request, and we will try to accommodate your preferences.
- Who are the Language & Culture Coaches?
- The Coaches are UCD undergraduate students who are trained to support international UCD students on topics in language and culture. They are friendly, attentive, and dedicated to helping students improve and succeed!
- What would I work on with a coach?
- During your first session with your coach, you will set goals together, and then your coach will develop lessons to help you meet those goals in your subsequent sessions.
- When should I sign up?
- As soon as possible! We will start coaching during the first week of Summer Start, but you can submit a request to meet with a coach at any time during the program.