The Pal Program pairs up UC Davis undergraduate students for intercultural conversation experiences. Participants can use these sessions to increase their intercultural awareness, practice a target language, and develop friendships.
- Winter Quarter Application Deadline: January 23
- Apply for Spring Quarter Starting: March 10
- Be an actively enrolled UC Davis undergraduate student.
- Be available for at least one hour per week to meet with a partner.
- Fill out a quick registration form with your preferences and availability.
- When a suitable partner becomes available, we will email you with your partner's contact information.
- Contact your partner right away to plan your first meet up.
- Review our "Tips for Success" and "FAQ" pages for meetup ideas and answers to common questions.
Would you like to earn one unit and still enjoy the benefits of the Pal program? Register for EDU 198 Intercultural Communication for Pal.
Students interested in enrolling in the Pal course must commit to meet with two students for one hour per week for the entire length of the quarter and register for EDU 198.
Joining the Course
- Add the course for one unit to your schedule using the CRN#41118. Course seats are limited so add the course early to guarantee your spot.
- Register online to become a Pal. Indicate that you would like to be partnered twice and that you would like to earn course credit.
- Avoid country and language preferences/requirements so you can be partnered quickly. Pals who have not been partnered twice by the end of week 3 will be asked to drop the course.
- Receive two email notifications with your partners' contact information. We begin partnering at the beginning of the quarter, so you should receive your confirmation emails shortly thereafter. Reach out to your new partners using their preferred contact method. Wait 5 days for a response. If you do not receive a response or cannot find a mutually convenient time to meet, email us so we can re-partner you ASAP.
- Meet with each Pal separately for one hour per week (total of two hours). You can schedule these meetups on your own time.
- Complete a series of assignments throughout the quarter, including an online intercultural competence assessment, an in-person meeting, a goal setting assignment, a case study, and a final summary/evaluation essay. All assignment details and submissions can be found on Canvas.
- Review and complete course material on the Pal Course Canvas page.