Today’s pressing problems cannot be tackled in isolation; we must work together.
A UC Davis community that engages, thrives and leads in a just, resilient and interconnected world.
To inspire and advance global curiosity, understanding and engagement.
To achieve our mission and vision, Global Affairs is pursuing four goals that are driven by four overarching principles and three key commitments.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We work to promote understanding and address inequities. We are committed to being accessible, affordable, inclusive and relevant.
Global Education for All
We strive to provide 100% of our undergraduate, graduate and professional students with global learning opportunities that change their lives and our world.
UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
We advance the SDGs, which aim to provide a better and more sustainable future for all, by helping integrate them into research, teaching, learning and service opportunities.
Goal 1: Communities
Bridge Diverse Communities through Dialogue to Establish a Strong Foundation for Action
Global Affairs serves both domestic and international stakeholders, providing us with opportunities to bring people together in ways they may not otherwise experience. We will demonstrate the value of engaging with individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences to spark meaningful, collaborative action on common challenges.
- Create an impactful portfolio of strategic partners.
- Deepen collaborative programs, services and spaces that translate the power of differences into positive action.
- Sharpen pathways of communication and collaboration.
Goal 2: Collaborations
Model Transformational Global Collaborations that are Intersectional, Transdisciplinary and Equity-Focused
Increasingly, collaborative arrangements need to move beyond bilateral partnerships between peer universities and bring in multiple sectors and perspectives to address complex and multidimensional challenges. We will help advance how global collaborations are developed so that they reflect shared values and work in practice, strengthening the university’s impact in research, teaching, learning and service.
- Grow 2-3 multidimensional flagship partnerships in Latin America and Africa.
- Develop a package of integrated tools to support UC Davis global research.
- Develop a comprehensive data management system and interface to facilitate collaboration and demonstrate impact.
Goal 3: Leadership
Develop Globally-Minded, Inclusive Leaders to Help Solve the World’s Pressing Challenges
Global Affairs will leverage innovative approaches to advance global learning and SDGs to provide holistic, transformative content for leadership development on global challenges. Students, scholars and professionals will gain broad, global perspectives and learn inclusive ways to address complex problems, through flexible programs and partnerships.
- Expand awareness of what global learning is and how it builds leaders equipped to solve global challenges.
- Catalyze participation in global learning and leadership.
- Help translate global experiences, skills and networks into impactful careers and civic engagement.
Goal 4: Growth
Position Global Affairs for Sustainable Growth in a Constantly Changing World
To successfully implement our first three goals, Global Affairs will organize our processes and teams to ensure we offer adaptive, forward-looking programming and services. We will use a unified approach, cultivate talent and deliver exciting and innovative events and programs to the communities that we serve.
- Ensure staff capacity and financial resources to support new programs, services and events.
- Develop a comprehensive and equitable professional development framework.
- Nurture and support a Global Affairs culture that facilitates trust, a healthy work-life balance and self-care, and that strengthens mutual respect and a sense of belonging.
We look forward to working with you to build a more just, resilient and interconnected world.
Our goals and strategies are flexible and will be implemented in a phased approach over the next five years. Specific activities and action items will be detailed in an internal operational document that is regularly assessed and updated.
We will leverage our staffing assets, work areas and existing programs and services.
Our aim is to build on what we already do successfully and pursue our mission-focused work in new ways, while taking care of our Global Affairs community and nurturing the professional growth of our staff.
In 5 years, Global Affairs will advance as a:
- Catalyst for bridging diverse communities and local and global perspectives;
- Thought leader and go-to expert in constructing effective global collaborations that are intersectional, transdisciplinary and equity-focused;
- Focal point for students and scholars to access unique, multidimensional leadership and global learning opportunities; and
- Showcase for sustainable growth and scalability.