Flags waving

International Collaboration Resources

International Collaboration Resources

In an increasingly interconnected world, we recognize the value of international, collaborative research and engagement. Recently, there has been increased interest by federal agencies in academic researchers and international collaboration, please find some UC Davis resources for UC Davis faculty and staff to help plan and manage collaborative international activities, including educational and research opportunities, both locally and globally.

Non-Discrimination Statement

  • You may need multiple agreements and/or contracts based on your international activities. Please consult guidance on UC Davis contracting offices: What Goes Where for more information.

Discussing collaborative opportunities with an international institution

  • Memoranda of Understanding (MOU)
    • Global Affairs has a process for establishing International Agreements for discussing collaborative opportunities between institutions and faculty, not involving the commitment of campus resources.

Sharing data, materials or information

  • A Material/Data Transfer Agreement may be required prior to transferring tangible research material or data sets.
  • You may need an export license prior to sharing intangible research materials, including: Software, unpublished data, patented information or third-party intellectual property.

Shipping goods internationally

  • Additional license may be required depending on type of item, technology and country involved.
  • Laws and regulations may even apply to domestic shipments is related to international research.
  • Contact Export Control for more information.

Receiving extramural funding

Hosting visiting scholars from other countries

Traveling internationally

  • For travel registration, insurance information, and travel tips for UC Davis faculty, staff and student travelers visit International Travel Information and Resources.
  • Contact Global Affairs Travel Security at travelsecurity@ucdavis.edu with any travel security questions.
  • Free immunizations and vaccine medications for international work trips are available through Occupational Health Services. To schedule a travel exam please call (530) 752-6051 or email employeehealth@ucdavis.edu.
  • If you are traveling with electronic devices, take the following steps to protect your data.
    • Leave your data or UC Davis laptop at home, backup your data, and/or use a loaner laptop.
    • Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) or encrypt your hard drive, contact your IT security team for guidance.
  • Hand Carrying research materials, samples or equipment are subject to legal requirements. Ask your Export Control experts for assistance.

Additional Resources

In addition to the UC Davis-specific guidelines, please refer to the University of California Policy on International Activity, which speaks to international activities undertaken by members of the UC community, in support of the University’s academic mission as a public research institute to create, disseminate, preserve, and apply knowledge for the betterment of global society.  

Have a compliance question?